Saturday, March 27, 2010

Why blog?

In my previous post I discussed why I believe Steve McQueen wouldn't blog. However, just because I don't think McQueen would participate in the activity, doesn't mean I don't think blogging isn't great, it is (accept for the name).

Writing and reading blogs gives everyone the ability to share in the global conversation without filters, and has for many people, including myself, replaced the print media that used to dictate the subjects for, and contexts of, discussions.

Rather than public opinion being formed by news stories, media outlets are now reacting to public opinion when choosing what to report on.

An early proponent of blogging and all things internet, Al Gore
in his book The Assault on Reason, referenced blogging as an important way for the citizens of a democracy to keep well informed and share information. He argued that if you can't trust major media outlets to report the truth, then report the truth yourself.

Years ago, when Gore was the Vice President, I attended a speech he gave on the campus of Missouri State University. He told a joke that went something like this:

In a room full of Secret Service agents how can you tell which one is really Al Gore?
Answer: He's the stiff one.

Steve McQueen may have been too cool to blog, but not Al Gore, and that's okay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment